Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Record That Changed My Life

It's a huge question. It's a lot different than what's the first record you heard or what's the first record you bought. I've been thinking about it since the day I started writing this here blog. Here is my answer:

Aerosmith - Rocks.

In the Spring of 1976 everything changed. I don't how or why but that Spring I connected with rock and roll. I started reading Circus Magazine and can still see in my mind's eye that gaudy colored photo of Steven Tyler screaming off the front cover. I had never heard of Aerosmith but thoroughly enjoyed reading the piece and looking at the pictures. The band looked dangerous in the way that I'm sure the Stones looked dangerous in the 60's.

I think it was June (at least I remember it as June). I had to buy a birthday present for Ed Harris. I bought him Rocks. I don't know why. he never said he was an Aerosmith fan. I had read a good review of the record and I guess I liked the cover. I bought alot of albums back then because of the cover.

The album sat in my house for a couple of days before I pulled it out to wrap it. But then came that insane moment when I decided to slide my thumbnail down the plastic and slip the album out for a quick listen. I hadn't though through what I would say about handing him an opened package.

It didn't take long. I think that Steve Tyler screams "I'M BACK" about 20 seconds into "Back In the Saddle." That was it. For the next 43 minutes I was locked in. Every song was a revelation. The record had balls and yet, at the same time, it had a glossy sophistication. After the first time though I went back to the beginning and played it again and again. I probably listened to the whole album four times in a row - front to back - not skipping any songs.

That June day, Aerosmith became mine. I went out and bought their first three albums and immediately started trying to learn the songs on guitar. In college I would play along to the first four albums from start to finish not skipping a single song.

Aerosmith lost me on the Pump tour. they play way too many "girly" songs now. But I can still listen to anything up to and including Double Live Bootleg to give me that same kick in the ass I got in June 1976.

No comments: