Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Guitarist at Work

I got my first guitar when I was 10 but never played it. When I was 16 I resolved to learn how to play and borrowed my brothers Ovation and then got a Mann electric guitar for myself (a story related a few postings back). Once I was hooked I became a devotee to the instrument (although I am not the Steve Waxman that wrote the most excellent book Instruments of Desire about the very subject).

In my Rock and Roll life I have had some pretty amazing experiences with some noted guitarists. They are as follows:

1976
Jeff Beck played at Maple Leaf Gardens in support of his live album with Jan Hammer. After the show, my friends and I chased his limo over to the original Four Seasons Hotel (around the corner from MLG) and I got him to autograph my concert ticket.

1982
I played in a hardcore punk band called Even Worse. the other guitar player in the band was Thurston Moore. This was around the time he and Kim started Sonic Youth. I went to see Sonic Youth play at the Mudd Club one night. After seeing Thurston jam screwdrivers between the strings of his guitar it became obvious to me why I had to help him tune his guitar after every song at our rehearsals.

1983
While working with Aucoin Management during the Billy Idol Rebel yell period, I got to play bass with Billy and the band while they auditioned drummers. I learned more during that three hour period playing beside Steve Stevens than I had learned before or since.

1984
Before leaving New York I got to spend quality time with Ace Frehley who was a frequent visitor to the Aucoin offices.

1995
I took MuchMusic and MusiquePlus to Los Angeles for a series of interviews over three days. One of those interviews was with Van Halen. MuchMusic wanted to shoot an opening throw to the interview with Eddie playing guitar. He agreed but excused himself while he warmed up. Warmed up?! It was me and Eddie Van Halen alone together in the 5150 studios while he blasted "Eruption" full blast through his amp. (I haven't washed my jeans since).

1998 (part one)
Eric Clapton came to town to talk about Pilgrim. I waited for him to come down to the room for his first interview. At the appointed time he came ambling around the corner, dressed not unlike a well kept janitor. Completely unassuming. The guy was a complete gentleman.

1998 (part two)
Later that same year, Page and plant came to Toronto for a concert at the Molson Amphitheatre. After the show we went backstage to say "hi." Page still had resin on his black t-shirt from the bow he used during "dazed and Confused." Cool!

2003
We had dinner with Robert Randolph the first time he came to town. It's always a treat to meet a revolutionary guitarist. Have you ever heard Robert? If not, check out www.robertrandolph.net

No comments: