Friday, October 10, 2008

I Met Walt Frazier

Forget all the rock stars! This is Walt-Freakin-Frazier! I was at the Park Hyatt to pick up Miss Thang and there he was - resplendant in a bight blue suit with a pink cotton shirt festooned with pink satin flames. Clyde still dresses super fly!

You see, Walt's the reason I'm a basketball nut. When I was a kid I watched him lead the Knicks to a waold championship. The games were on tape delay in Toronto and my folks let me stay up late to watch the post-11:30pm broadcasts. I drove my mom crazy, anxiously bouncing my basketball against the wall making little black marks that I spent most of the next morning cleaning. When I played hoops, I was always Walt Frazier dishing off a hot pass or driving (my version of driving) down the lane.

I took this once in a lifetime opportunity to tell Walt the story. He thanked me with a big smile on his face and then folded himself into a cab to head of to the ACC for his gig as a color analyst with the Knicks. Walt Freaking Frazier. Sweet!

No comments: